Besides high heels and party attire, the stylish handbag has been one of the more neglected items in our closets this past year. With fewer opportunities to dress up with on-trend accessories, and of course, not as many places to go, you’ve probably opted to carry your most practical bag when you’ve actually needed one.
With restrictions loosening and the weather warming, re-emerging is hopefully in our near future. Luckily for us, there are a handful of practical styles among spring 2021 handbag trends that will carry us through the season, from tech gadget couriers to roomy totes. There are also crossbodies and box bags in the season’s prettiest palettes, strap pouches with chunky chains, and plush shoulder bags as cushy as loungewear. All of which were seen on the socially distanced street style stars at fashion weeks in Milan, Paris, Copenhagen, and beyond.
If you’re going to shop for a new handbag this season, make it one of these six spring trends.
- 1 Chain Reaction
- 2 Manu Atelier XX mini cylinder bag
- 3 DeMellier Santa Monica chain bag
- 4 Yuzefi Dinner Roll leather shoulder bag
- 5 Curved Carryall
- 6 Neous Neptune pleated-leather shoulder bag
- 7 Bottega Veneta BV banana woven-leather bag
- 8 Gu-De Lisa leather shoulder bag
- 9 On Point Totes
- 10 Wandler Lin calf-leather bag
- 11 Givenchy Cut Out large leather bag
- 12 Boyy Lotus canvas tote bag
- 13 Tech Mate
- 14 Balenciaga pink hourglass phone holder bag
- 15 Xouxou Bordeaux smartphone necklace
- 16 Chanel raffia and jute phone holder
- 17 Shoulder Pads
- 18 Staud Bean gathered-leather shoulder bag
- 19 Little Liffner tan double-knot bag
- 20 Simon Miller vegan-leather Puffin bag
- 21 Covetable Color
- 22 Bottega Veneta small Beak triangle-flap bag
- 23 JW PEI Cora top-handle bag
- 24 By Far micro Cush leather bag
- 25 Brandon Blackwood Kuei peacock blue bag
The chunky handbag chain has been making appearances since the fall 2019 season, but for spring 2021, extra-large links were used—not only as bag straps but on the tops of shoes and in jewelry pieces as well. Despite the heavy hardware, leather pouches and lady bags from Manu Atelier and DeMellier still feel feminine and elegant and are certainly a favorite among It girls and the street style crew.
This season, the roomy, slouchy, and soft carryall gets an elevated update. With sleek stitching from Tod’s, knot detailing from Neous, and woven leather details from Bottega Veneta, there’s little reason not to cradle one of these under your shoulder this spring.
On Point Totes
Basic square totes no more. This season’s crop of carryalls is sleek and sharp but still just as practical. Angular options from Marni, Givenchy, Wandler, and Boyy are sure to stand out.
Apps like Apple Pay, Uber, and Venmo certainly make it easy to leave the house with only your phone in tow—especially when you’re just running a quick errand or taking a sanity walk. This spring, designers are making crossbody phone cases and holders stylishly convenient for those who wish to travel light. Sling on a natural jute phone box from Chanel, complete with their signature chain strap, or tote a top-handled version from Balenciaga.
This past year we’ve become accustomed to comfort on so many levels and that includes our accessories, too—from sleeping bag shoes to pillow bags. This season’s shoulder bags come in supremely supple scrunched, puffed, or padded leathers. It’s a cloud-like landing pad for your arm when heading out this spring.
Per the street style set, one of the easiest spring 2021 handbag trends to spot was bags in standout brights. With options from By Far, Brandon Blackwood, and JW Pei, all you have to do is select your silhouette, size, and shade.